Leaving Qatar: Exit Permit and Visa Cancellation Process
Information on what to do when leaving Qatar for good
If you are an expat living in Qatar with a Residence Permit and are leaving for good, you will need to cancel your residency status, close all your accounts (bank and credit cards) and pay off fines or debts. Failure to do so could delay your departure or mean you are marked on the immigration system as an absconder or debtor.
We at QShield can help you
navigate through the various requirements and provide you with the assistance needed to close all the formalities on time.
Qatar Exit Permit
All residents except the spouse and children under the sponsorship of their family members are required to obtain an exit permit when leaving Qatar.
The sponsor is responsible for arranging the exit permit.
If you are an authorized user, you may complete the procedure online through the MOI self-service machine
, or via the MOI website
or if preferred submitting the application in person, at the General Directorate for Borders Passports and Expatriates Affairs
• Hamad Medical Corporation
• Al Khor
• Al Dayin
• Al Shahaniya
• Doha Industrial Area
• Al Shamal
• Al Wakrah
• Souq Waqif
• Umm Salal
To apply for an exit permit online see the Qatar Government website Hukoomi.
• Single exit permit costs QR10.
• Multiple exit permit costs QR500, and is valid for 1 year.
Exit Permit Application Process
The Qatar exit permit, can be issued either online or in person, the necessary steps are:
• Complete the application form (the form is in Arabic with notes in English on the back)
• Load the online application.
• Select exit permit type.
• Fill in all required fields, including the applicant’s ID and passport numbers.
• Pay appropriate fees.
Approved exit permits are registered internally and do not require printing.
We advise getting a photocopy, email or screenshot of the approved application if possible.
The exit permit is only valid for seven days.
Bank accounts should be closed well in advance of leaving Qatar. Individuals trying to leave the country with any personal debt will be stopped at the border.
It is advisable to:
• If you’re planning on moving money out of Qatar, start planning well in advance of the 45-day time lead as there is a limit to how much money is allowed to leave the country from one bank account at any one time
• Close all credit card accounts at least 45 days before departure
• Stop all automatic payments
• Pay off any bank loans or debts and get clearance letter from your bank
• Start closing bank accounts about 30 days before the last payroll in Qatar, otherwise banks will freeze the account to ensure there is enough money left in the account to cover any outstanding debts
A couple of days before leaving Qatar, double-check that all bank accounts have been closed properly, as overlooking any small debt, such as a banking fee could result in fraud or debt-related charges.
Terminating a Rental Contract
The termination period of a rental contract can vary; however the usual notice period is generally one to two months in writing.
Penalty fees may apply for early termination of the contract. At the end of the notice period if all terms and conditions in the contract are met and the tenant has paid all outstanding bills the landlord will refund the deposit.
Water, Electricity & Phone
It is important to arrange disconnection of services before leaving the property to avoid a financial penalty. Qatar General Electricity and Water Cooperation
for water and electricity, for any telephone landline and internet services it is necessary to contact the telecommunications supplier to request cancellation of any services and a final bill.
To disconnect utility services it is necessary to:
• Get a final reading and final bill.
• Clearance Certificate is issued upon completion and the deposit refunded
Service Centres are usually open Sunday to Thursday, 06:30-14:30, with some also open Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings.
Some landlords may require the Clearance Certificate as proof that all bills have been paid.
When leaving Qatar, schools should be notified in advance so that academic documents can be prepared for the new school. School clubs and activities should also be cancelled. It is advisable to leave a forwarding address for any correspondence.
To cancel any insurance policy, it is necessary to contact the provider and arrange a date for termination of the policy. For car insurance, a no-claims certificate should also be obtained, if applicable.
Individuals with any outstanding fines will be stopped at the border. We advise you to contact the Department of Transport to check for any outstanding traffic fines before leaving Qatar. Check here for traffic fines.
Check the regulations of the country your pet will be travelling to from Qatar. Make sure that all the necessary paperwork; vaccinations and documentation are completed before leaving Qatar.
General requirements for pets leaving Qatar include:
• Valid health certificate. This can be obtained from the government vet (Animal Department) in Qatar.
• Up-to-date vaccination records detailing rabies injections (Requirements vary by country)
• IATA approved travel box
• Copy of the owner's passport
All of these points can be easily managed and any inconvenience avoided through careful planning.